Twin Cities Host
The Twin Cities Host program is a short-term volunteer opportunity that matches local volunteers with newly arriving exchange visitors. Exchange visitors start their program by attending a mandatory orientation at the University of Minnesota. Attendees get an overview of their program and get a chance to meet other MAST participants. There are 10 orientations per year that we seeks volunteers for assistance. View the 2019 Orientation Dates (PDF). Twin Cities Hosts open up their hearts and homes to MAST International exchange visitors and volunteers become a part of the MAST family and often participate in reunions and anniversary events.
How do we match volunteers and exchange visitors?
MAST International receives arrival details for MAST International exchange visitors two weeks prior to each orientation. At this time, MAST International sends out an email with a list of arrivals details to Twin Cities Hosts interested in hosting. We try to match up people the best we can, and if there is no one that seems like a good fit, volunteers are not required to host.
What does volunteering entail?
- Meet exchange visitor at the Minneapolis/St. Paul International airport when their flight arrives.
- Provide lodging and meals over the weekend and during orientation (Monday and Tuesday).
- Provide transportation to and from the University of Minnesota – St. Paul campus for orientation. Orientation is typically 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
- Provide transportation to airport, train station, or bus station upon completion of orientation.
- Introduce MAST participants to American culture and serve as bright start to their USA experience.
You can veiw view a sample orientation schedule (.pdf). Most people host for 3 – 5 days, starting by picking up their participant on Saturday or Sunday and aiding them with their departure on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Volunteering is a great opportunity to stay connected with the University of Minnesota and its international community! Exchange visitors appreciate the reassuring welcome that a Twin Cities Host provides upon their arrival in the U.S.
The MAST International staff are available to assist you and answer any questions before you host and while your participant is with you throughout the weekend and their orientation.
If you are interested in becoming a Twin Cities Host, please fill out this information request form. Once it is submitted, a MAST International representative will contact you.